Monday, April 1, 2013

Kid-Friendly Food: Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie

My boys love getting slushies at Sonic.
 
See the italic emphasis up there?  Yeah, that's how much they LOVE getting slushies at Sonic.
 
And at 50 cents a slush during Happy Hour, it's a pretty cheap indulgence.  But, as a mom trying to get some amount of healthy food into her kids during the course of a day, I just can't bring myself to give in to their pleas very often. 
 
It's pretty easy to deny my boys, too.  All I have to do is picture them in my mind, pouring a cup of sugar down their throats, and I hit the gas and zoom on by.  Because that is essentially what they are doing when they drink a Sonic slush.
 
So  what is a mom to do?  Find a healthier alternative, of course!
 
I love finding recipes that I can adapt to suit the needs of my family, and this one does just that.  
 
Personally, I try to avoid a lot of extra sugar for myself, so I make this with Diet 7-Up to slash the sugar calories. I also substitute Splenda for the sugar to cut the carbs and calories even more.
 
However, I am not the biggest fan of my kids ingesting a ton of artificial sweeteners, so for them I might do 7-Up Ten, and real sugar, or Splenda/Sugar blend.
 
But even if I make the recipe as written, they are still getting the fiber and nutrition of the strawberries, no High Fructose Corn Syrup, and no artificial colorings like they would with a Sonic slush. 
 
If you try it, I totally encourage you to make this smoothie to suit the needs and desires of your family.  It is fail proof.  And really yummy.
 
strawberry lemonade smoothie
 

Strawberry Lemonade Smoothies
1 (16 oz.) bag of frozen strawberries (no sugar added), or about 4 cups
36 oz. 7-Up, diet or regular (3 cans)
1 T. lemon juice
½ c. sugar (or sugar substitute of your choice)

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into glasses and enjoy! 
About 4 servings.
 





2 comments:

  1. Yummy! This looks delicious and a great summer drink! I would love for you to share this on my weekly link party Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day!