Monday, April 29, 2013

Kid Friendly Food Monday: Ham and Cheese Loaf

One of my sons asks for a ham sandwich every single day.  Unfortunately for him, I don't have ham available every. single. day.
 
Those days he just has to suffer through a PB&J.  Which is his twin brother's favorite. lunch. ever!
 
Twins.  Go figure.
 
Anyway, I know if I want to make Mister-Ham-Lover happy, all I have to do is tell him that ham is on the menu.  (And if I want to make Mr. Pie happy, I just have to serve him anything wrapped in bread.  Seriously, he loves anything wrapped in bread.)
 
Enter Ham and Cheese Loaf.
 
Food Ham Loaf

Next time, I think I will try to bridge the gap between my twins preferences and add some cooked, finely chopped broccoli in with the cheese mix. (Mister PB&J also loves broccoli. True story.)  That should make both them and Mom happy, since I am always happy to sneak veggies in somewhere.
 
food Ham Loaf slices
 
Ham and Cheese Loaf 
1 lb. bread dough (enough for one loaf)
1 pkg. (9 oz.) deli ham
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp.  Grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 350.  On a floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangle, roughly 12x8.  Don't roll the dough too thin.  Place deli ham slices over the entire surface, overlapping if necessary, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edges clear. 

In a small bowl, stir together the shredded cheese and mayonnaise.  Spread over the surface of the ham.  Take one of the long sides of the dough and fold it 1/3 over the filling .  Repeat with the other long side of the dough.  You now have a log shape of dough with the filling enclosed in the center.

Move the dough and place seam-side down on a greased baking sheet.  Brush top of loaf with beaten egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Cut  1-inch slits down the length of the top of the loaf (I just snipped them with my kitchen shears).  Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Cut into slices to serve.

recipe from kraftrecipes

***

NOTES: Use all the ham as called for, or less, depending on your family's preference.  For the loaf in the photo, I used about half of the 9 oz. package of deli ham because my other sons don't like a ton of ham on it.

Also, I used my favorite bread dough recipe for this (which I usually make with whole wheat flour, but happened to be out of when I made this), but you could easily use a frozen bread dough, like Rhodes brand, or even this Pizza Dough recipe!



 

1 comment:

Your comments brighten my day!