Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday #5

Well, I am back from my 3 week trip and trying to get back into the swing of things at home.

I drove with the boys from Virginia to Tennessee to have Easter with my sister and her family before we all flew from Nashville to Provo, Utah (with 6 kids in tow!) for my brother's wedding the following weekend.  After flying back to Nashville, we stayed one more day before making the drive back to Virginia.  That's a lot of driving and flying.

The wedding was wonderful, and the entire trip was fun, stressful and crazy all at the same time!  All my siblings were together for the first time in literally years, so it was good to spend time with my whole family (minus my husband, of course...dumb Army.  Boo!) 

However, it is definitely hard traveling across two time zones for almost 3 weeks with 3 little boys all by myself.  Fortunately, my boys are very good car travelers.  Unfortunately, they are horrible airplane travelers.

So, like I said, I am back home and trying to get back into our normal routine.  And it's been slow going.

I did manage to hit one fabric store while I was in Utah.  The Fabric Mill is a darling little store tucked away on a side street in Orem, Utah, that has been there for as long as I can remember.  And I grew up there.  So that is a LONG TIME. 

The reason I went there in particular is because they have an enormous selection of flannel, since they are known for their hemstitched flannel receiving blanket and burp cloth kits.  And I was looking specifically for flannel for the back of my Denim Rag Quilt.

{As a side note, I should mention the lack of fabric resources I have where I currently live. 
Truly, it's pathetic. 

I have a Hancock Fabric (which I hate) about 25 minutes away, and a Joann's a half an hour away.

There is one so-called quilt shop in town (also about 25 minutes away), which is actually where we bought my new Bernina, but their fabric selection is pathetic.  Their focus seems to mainly be on machine embroidery.

So needless to say, it is a treat for me to go to Utah and be able to walk into an actual brick and mortar quilt shop and see and feel all the beautiful, wonderful fabric in person!}

So, knowing I was looking specifically for flannel, I knew the Fabric Mill was the place to go.  And I was not disappointed!  I bought a half yard each of (I believe) 9 different fabrics.  I would post a picture, but I left them with my mom to be sent later (along with a few other things) so that my checked bag wouldn't go over 50 lbs on the fight home.  (Dumb airlines!)

SO---I suppose I can count buying the flannel for my Rag Quilt as progress, right?  If not, I didn't make much progress at all on any of my WIP's :(

I did take my tree skirt and was able to work on it a bit here and a bit there.  I would say I am almost 3 quarters done with the binding.  I wanted to have it finished by the time I got home, but I just didn't have as much free time as I thought I might.  Sigh.

WIP Stats
Total WIP's: 5
WIP's worked on this week: 2 (I'm counting the fabric, darnit!)
New WIP's: 0
WIP's Finished: 0









No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day!