Friday, January 6, 2012

Picking the Pattern

So the pattern I chose to make for "The Bed Quilt" (TBQ) is Swoon by Camille Roskelley.  I knew the minute I saw it that I had to have it on my bed.  But since I am writing about the process of choosing the pattern, I suppose I can't just leave it at that.

I suppose, if I am going to tell the story, I should start at the beginning.  And the beginning, as far as my master bedroom goes, starts at our wedding. 

We got a bedding set when we got married.  And I HATE our bedding.  Hate.  Ugh.  Can't stand it.  And I think because I hate it, I have never bothered trying to decorate our bedroom in the whole seven years The Hubs and I have now been married.  Because, not only does the bedding, (which, let's be honest, is the focal point of the room) not inspire me, I think it actually drains the creativity out of me just looking at it.  I don't even want to try to "work with it," so I've just let it be. 

So, last year when I really started quilting, I decided one of the first things I wanted to do was find a great pattern and finally make myself some bedding that I LOVE.  Yes, you read that right, last year.  I looked and looked, but nothing really grabbed me. 

Now, in discussing that process of choosing a quilt to make, I think it is important to know what you like, or, if you see something that is different than what you usually like, to be able to identify what it is that you really do like about it.  I didn't have anything specific in mind when I started looking for a pattern.  But there are things that I am more drawn to.  I know I love Stars.  And Dresdens.  And Hexies, and Cathedral Windows, and...etc.  I know I like a mix between modern and traditional.  I know I like a bit of shabby and/or vintage.  In other words, there are things I knew I liked, but I was also willing to be open to something that caught my eye.

I finally saw something I liked...this picture of a charm square quilt over at Crazy Mom Quilts.  I loved the colors, and I loved that it was fairly simple.  But I wasn't sold.  For some reason, even though I really liked it, I couldn't commit to it.  So, the idea of making TBQ was put on the back burner while I focused on some other projects.  I kept my eyes open, but wasn't actively looking.  Finally, some months later, I saw the Swoon pattern, probably on Pinterest, and loved it immediately.  It had a lot of the qualities that I generally like about quilts. I pretty much decided then and there that I had found TBQ pattern! 

So there it is.  The first step in my quilt making process...deciding on a pattern.  Just like a lot of other decisions, I think it just comes down to a little bit of knowing your personal aesthetic, and a little bit of going with your gut about what you love. 

Now to choose the fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments brighten my day!